Monday 30 September 2013

Picking Up Where I Left Off

I realised that I have been writing on this blog for a while now and I've not actually posted about my own practice. With all the new things going on I feel I have lost touch with what I was doing, so I thought I would pick up where I left off with this short re-cap.
Trace of my Former Self (2013) Installation View
The media and materials I work with depend upon what I'm trying to achieve - this way I am not controlled by materials, or feel I have to stay true to a specific style.
 
Trace of my Former Self  (2013) Installation View

 My latest work is projection and video based. Exploring the ways in which archival ephemera is viewed in the gallery space. It is possible for a viewer to be surrounded by an archive (documents pinned to walls or behind glass) but within this piece the viewer becomes immersed within it, creating a whole new experience for reading, listening and reflecting on the past.
Trace of my Former Self  is an installation comprised of audio and visual layers that impact  upon each other, forming a subtle space that attempts to visualise the rememberance and forgetting found in memory. The suspended acetates are printed with excerpts of childhood writing - an archive stolen from my 10year old self. Innocent childhood language is relatable to everyone, acting as a trigger for past memories. Projected through these is a repetetive, close up video of a OHP bulb being turned on and off creating and controlling the coloured light which is cast and fragmented around the space, transforming the work from purely visual to experiential. A short video of this installation can be found HERE along with other videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment